Friday, January 1, 2010

Fledgling Author

January 1, 2010 Happy New Year.
I recently watched the movie "Julie and Julia" and was struck by the question Julie asked herself in the beginning of the film, "What would I write about in a blog?" Since then, I had been asking myself the same question for the last few weeks. This morning, it came to me. Write about writing. While I really enjoy the craft, I have never fully committed myself to working on it. Commitment through conclusion have always been issues for me. So, like Julie, I decided to commit myself to writing something on a daily basis for at least the next year, and what better time to begin than January First? Hopefully, this will create some discipline for me and start a new and good daily habit.

Since I know virtually nothing about blogs, this undertaking has been in progress for the last few hours and I guess this will be a New Year's Day to remember. I followed the directions to come up with a title, but now I don't know if that name carries through the entire life of the blog. I'll keep it that way for now. I decided on Fledgling as I'm so new at this that it has a sort-of double connotation for me. Webster's online defines fledgling as an "immature or inexperienced person" of which I am, at times, both. Fledgling is also a baby bird, and birds being one of my passions, I thought the term appropriate for me. Author is pretty much self explanatory. I'm trying.
Rather than write a novel here today, I'll continue tomorrow with the current reading materials I researched to help guide me into this process. I'm a little nervous, but I'm trying not to project and take this, as I try to do with most everything in my life, one day at a time.

No comments: