Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Plug a blog and quick post

If anyone is out there and reads this, check out the link for Write To Done. Filled with amazing articles on everything from clearing out brain clutter through brief and simple meditation techniques to really helpful writing tips, it offers both incite and inspiration. I'm really glad I found it and I hope I was able to include the link with this....still trying to fine tune details.

Tonight I wanted to work on revising the story for my writing group and I’d planned to make this a quick and short post. But with three sentences barely written, I'd already gone back a half dozen times to rewrite them. This is so time consuming, I swear, it takes me ninety minutes to put four paragraphs together to my satisfaction. I’m trying to train myself to just get stuff down, misspellings and all, then go back and rewrite and edit, but even as I compose this, I'm correcting and changing, especially if a word is misspelled.

What’s the matter with me? Sometimes I really wonder why the hell I’m doing this to myself. I have to work hard at not stressing out, especially over things I can’t control, but this seems to bring out the stress in me big time. So why do I enjoy it so much? Is it some warped form of self punishment or is it because, as my husband tells me, I’m a control freak? I think it may be a little of both. All I know is when I'm done-or at least finished for the time being, I feel a great sense of satisfaction and release. The key is knowing when to stop because I tend to get all caught up and just want to keep going. But I have a real job to go to in the morning and unfortunately can't sit here all night.

Maybe someday I'll have all the time I want to just write and write and write. I can dream...

1 comment:

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Thanks for the write to done link! I'll definitely be checking it out :-)

Deep breath about the stressful parts! Don't forget--there's a reason why you write... Because you LOVE it. I read somewhere on another blog, can't remember which one... But the point is, that where there's a will there's a way. Things might happen at a slower pace than you want them to... Or you may irritate yourself with the perfectionist stuff, but there's a reason for it! You're making your craft stronger in a way that works best for you.

(But if you're worried that it isn't working best for you... then force yourself to try a new method!)