Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Brief Respite

Another new follower! Thank you! Check out her blog-it's got some great inspirational daily readings.

I think I took Sara's suggestion a little too literally as I've not posted anything since Friday and the really sad thing is that I'm having trouble remembering why that is. What did I do that was so important it kept me away from my blog? Certainly nothing that will keep the rapt attention of anyone who reads this...

A couple of months ago, I set some goals for myself and tacked them over my computer. As I looked up the other day, I suddenly realized that blogging was one of those goals. It fell under the short term category of my brief list. The other two short term objectives are to have 2 published pieces by Spring 2010 and have at least one consistent freelance assignment (no time constraint on that one, I just noticed).
My single long term objective at this point is to achieve self sufficiency by age 60 and "semi-retire" to a part time position so that I can spend more time writing.That gives me about 7 years. Can I do it? I'm gonna give it a helluva try.


I spent a lot of time today doing research on query letters for submissions. The more I read, the less I know. And really, I know nothing. Educationally speaking, I have two years of college and no degree, and the only writing course I'd taken was journalism.The teacher turned me off so much that I never gave writing of any type a second thought. I remember she was tall and thin with a rat's nest hairdo and freaky long fingernails that looked as though they'd never seen a scrub brush. Critical and brusque, she was not the motivating type I needed back then-someone to advice me, make suggestions and try to point me in the right direction. When I think back on that time, I didn't have a clue to what I was doing-I was like a bee without a flower-flying around with no idea where I was going.

So now, I'm self-educating, reading as much as my brain and time will allow. And now, I don't need anyone to motivate me. Now I can set goals and achieve them one at a time. Finally. I think my time has come.

No comments: