Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lots of questions, lots of confusion

Wow, I never expected that a blog would occupy so much of my mental energy. My blog address/email thing has been consuming me, but I think today I figured out that it's my service carrier, not the blogspot address as I originally thought. The more I work I this, the less I'm discovering that I know about internet publishing. I know nothing. I've found that I'm spending more time trying to figure things out than I am actually writing. So if anyone ever does come across this blog some day, I offer my advance apologies for my naivete. Hopefully, I'll learn something over this next year, but trying to do it by myself is frustrating and I wish I knew a whiz who could help.

My critic awakes and questions abound.

Four days ago, I began this undertaking with the idea that it would help me to write, and read, on a daily basis, and that the primary topic would involve my writing progression. But today, my (non)supportive mental critic got a hold of me, strongly suggesting that no one will be interested in what I have to say. And I agreed. I asked myself why I'm doing this, and who would really give a damn. I don't even know if I can use damn. What about crap? Or shit? If I swear here-what will people think? Then I tell myself if I don't worry what others think about my graphic vocalizations, why do I care about what's written? "Because", I think "if anyone comes across this, and they don't know me--they might be turned off. Then nobody will read it."

...This is nuts-I'm sitting at the computer having an argument with myself about something that most likely won't even happen...I really need help. I'll just do it.

Africa Adventure

I'm also preoccupied tonight because I got the final (I think) itinerary for our trip to South Africa in October and I've just decided to write about that, as well. Maybe it will make for more interesting reading than if I only write about writing. Oh, God.

My husband and I will be taking a three week safari to see a "bit of everything" in South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. It started as a sort-of whim last May when we attended a fund raising auction/dinner for a friend. One of the features of the live auction was this trip and we decided to bid on it. However, when the bidding began, it was at our cap price, and our momentary safari dream evaporated like warm breath on an icy day. The auctioneer tried to get the bidding going at that price, but had no takers. So she dropped the price. Still nobody. Dropped it again. Nope. Once more, and suddenly we were in the game. Long story, we were high bidders for a week safari trip, and decided that since this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the flight over was 24 hours, we needed to extend it. And extend we did. Twenty one days...I've never been out of the country, have seen very little of it,actually, so this will be some experience.
Writing? Reading?
I did actually get some reading done last night from "In Your Own Voice." Funny, he spoke of writing fear and the critic. And mine shows up today. I need to take the advice and write through the fear. Looking back on this entry, I guess I did.





1 comment:

Meredith28 said...

I will read it everyday! Keep up the writing :)