Monday, January 4, 2010

Midnight revelation a dud

After spending hours yesterday on this stupid computer, trying to figure out how I can get my blog address to others through email, I finally gave up and finished most of the Christmas household cleanup. We were stuck inside all day due to the snowy, blustery, freezing weather. As I was drifting off to sleep at around midnight, it suddenly came to me that rather than email my blog address, I could let everyone know the title and they could Google it. How simple, I thought, and went to sleep happy. This morning, however, when I tried my great idea, it didn't work so apparently my blog is floating around in cyberspace, basically unread. I'll figure it out eventually. Today the sun is shining brightly, I have one more day off from work, and I'm going to make the best of it.

I did get some things accomplished last night. I organized a hard reading/writing plan for the upcoming week as suggested by Bill Roorbach. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be, now I just have to make sure I stick to the schedule. I also began my first book of non-pleasure reading, and I actually enjoyed it. In the back of his book, Bill has offered pages of suggested readings in Creative Nonfiction that include Memoirs, Personal Essays, Journals, Nature, Travel and New/Literary Journalism. I initially thought I'd choose something from his list, since it numbers in the hundreds, but then I remembered a book I'd taken from the library weeks ago and hadn't read because it was difficult for me to get into. So I chose that for my first hard reading. Not only am I enjoying it, I think it will help me with my own personal writing. Entitled "In Your Own Voice", it's written by Bernard Selling with Jim Strohecker and is a sort-of teaching directive for life story writing. While geared toward creative writing teachers, and a little technical is spots, his premise is for one to go back, remembering childhood, and "write from within". I really think it's going to be helpful for me to "find my voice" and hone my writing style. I've found that I'm not very creative when it comes to inventing charcters, places and plots, but have little difficulty writing about my own personal stuff. Maybe I have an inventive block from my younger days when my mother used to tell me I had no imagination. That, though, is for another day, another blog....

No comments: